Both spoke about blogs. And based on their tips, here are 5 mistakes I’ve identified that Publicity Hounds make when blogging:
- They don’t use keywords in their headlines or posts. The search engines love blogs and give blog entries good ranking. But how can people find your blogs if you don’t include the same keywords in the post or the headline that people (including journalists) use when Googling for the kind of information you don’t provide?
- They aren’t controversial. The more controversial your blog, the more bloggers will link to you and the more journalists will seek you out.
- They fail to understand ways to promote themselves in their blog. See the ebook covers to the right of this blog? You’ll also notice links to specific product pages at my website, like this one, which features a CD on blogging.
- They don’t use little bells and whistles. Creating audio posts, for example, is a great way to post to your blog directly from your cellphone while you’re on vacation or away from the office.
- They ask other bloggers to link to them. If your blog is good, bloggers will do this automatically and you shouldn’t have to ask.
If you recognize yourself on this list (I know I do), then get moving to improve your blog to make it easy for journalists and others to find you.
Also check out blogger and publicity expert Don Crowther’s terrific ebook
Blogging for Business.