Every time I visit Denver, I hear people yacking about The Tattered Cover.
Wait. Let me rephrase that.
I don’t even have to visit Denver. I see the name of that independent bookstore online more than any of the other 2,000+ independent bookstores in the United States.
Like many indie stores, The Tattered Cover has a fiercely loyal following. That’s only one reason why, if you write or publish books, you should be pitching the indie stores and gift shops.
They’re easier to get into than the bigger chains and national retail outlets, but only if you know what you’re doing.
Learn exactly what you need to do, when to do it and how to do it during free training I’m hosting from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Eastern today with publishing experts Amy Collins and Daniel Hall. Register for “Sell Your Book In Stores Even If You’re Self-Published.”
Indie Bookstores Love Indie Authors
Those stores know all too well what it’s like to compete with the same big chains that are turning down requests from thousands of self-published (indie) authors just like you.
They also know that local authors are often stars and celebrities who are doing interviews on local television stations. You see stories written about them in the local daily and weekly newspapers. They build a following when they speak at local libraries.
They pull friends, followers and fans to bookstore events like book signings, classes and demonstrations. Those authors also help sell books. Hosting indie authors lets indie bookstores compete with the big guys who might not want to be bothered with indie authors. And unlike the major chains, the indies are more receptive to giving your book a “test run” on their shelves to see how well the title resonates with customers.
Gift Shops Love Indie Authors, Too
Ditto for gift shops and other retail outlets that sell books to increase profits. Some examples:
- Health and weight loss books are perfect for hospitals.
- Sell gardening books to garden stores and nurseries.
- Cookbooks and food books belong in gourmet food stores.
- Children’s books can be found in kids’ clothing stores and toy stores.
- Chick lit is sold in women’s boutiques.
- History books and biographies are on shelves in museum gift shops.
- At a gift shop inside a park in Door County, Wisc., I found books on astronomy, how to build a backyard feeding station for the birds, hiking, and campfire cooking.
But what about mysteries, erotica, Westerns, sci-fi, memoirs, historical fiction, satire, action, romance, horror, and the dozens of other genres?
Many of them have a place on the shelves of independent bookstores and even gift shops as long as the titles are targeted to the demographic that buys at those stores.
What You’ll Learn About Selling to Indie Stores & Gift Shops
During today’s free training, Amy and Daniel will give you an overview of the kinds of books independent book and gift stores want to see. You will also learn:
- What stores buy books and when they buy them.
- How stores GET books and how to get your book on their shelves.
- How to know if your book belongs in certain stores and if there’s room on their shelves for it.
- The key questions to ask yourself before you approach the stores.
- What you need to have in place before you approach them.
- Why you MUST have a quality book.
- A step-by-step example of the first email to send a buyer to get the ball rolling.
- How to change their minds if they say “no.”
What About Selling Books to Walmart and Costco?
If you dream of penetrating the big box stores and selling your books in Walmart, Costco and Target, you need to have a track record of sales. Their shelf space is precious, and they can’t afford to test drive your title to see how well it performs.
Before you’re tempted to write off independent bookstores and gift shops as “too much trouble,” join us on today’s call. Amy and Daniel will convince you that you’re leaving money on the table if you don’t at least try.
Register here for the free training, and come with your questions. They’re generous with their time, and some of the webinars I’ve hosted with them have exceeded the time limit because they want to make sure all questions are answered.
Hope to see you on the call!