During the teleseminar today on “How to do Social Networking, Run a Business & Still Have a Life,” with BL Ochman, we offered two ideas on how Publicity Hounds can find social networking sites on niche topics:
1. Do a Google search for “social networking” + (your topic). That’s what I did this morning when searching for social networking sites for motorcyclists. The entire first page of Google was filled with them.
2. Pose the question to the LinkedIn community. Many LinkedIn users are very helpful, and I’ll bet you’ll find more niche sites than you could have dreamed existed.
Here are five more ideas I thought of after the call today:
3. Ask the question on Twitter.
4. Go to Facebook and search “Groups” to see if a Group is devoted to your topic. Then ask members of that group what sites they recommend.
5. Create a Google Alert for the topic, and check the results frequently.
6. If you’re posting comments at blogs that write about the topic, you can email the bloggers and ask them what sites they recommend. Or tell them you’d love to see a post on that topic.
7. If you’re posting comments at a blog, include your question within your comment.
8. Search at Ning, an online directly of social media sites. As of this writing, Ning has more than 1 million sites listed.
BL was great, by the way. You can follow her on Twitter. She even told us how she’s using social networking sites to promote the launch of her new website, Pawfun, that lets you design your own T-shirt with a photo of your favorite four-legged hound or other pet.